To break out of this in my spiritual practice, I like to work more consciously with a specific sacred text or prayer. One of my favorites is the Lord’s Prayer.
I read or say it slowly – out loud. Whenever my heart is touched, I stop at that place. I let that word or phrase flow through my whole being and work its sacred power.
This is quite a powerful and potent experience! If you’re seeking a way to deepen your spiritual practice, I recommend giving it a try.
You can use the Lord’s Prayer below or another sacred text. Here are the steps I suggest, but be sure to adjust them to meet your own needs!
- Read the passage or poem through to familiarize or reacquaint yourself.
- Read it a second time stopping at a word or phrase that speaks to you.
- Hold that word or phrase in your mind, repeating it, as needed. Be present and attentive to each sound and word as you speak it in your mind.
- Let go of the word or phrase and open an empty space in your mind in silence.
- Hold this sacred space and see what insights, images, or messages may come to you.
- Repeat this exercise several times with the same word or phrase.
Explore these steps with different sacred texts and discover the depth and sacredness in each.
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us
and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.