Make some of St. Hildegard’s Joy Cookies!
Here is the recipe: (if you do not eat gluten use Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Flour. Also feel free to leave out the butter and put in your favorite substitute, if you do not do dairy). The key healing ingredients are the spices! <3
¾ cups butter
1 1/2 c. coconut sugar
1 egg, beaten
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups spelt flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
optional: 1 cup chopped almonds
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to the creamed mixture.
- Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Remove, roll out on a floured surface and cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.
(Based on a recipe from here which was adapted from the original book, Hildegard of Bingen’s Medicine by Dr. Wighard Strehlow and Gottfried Hertzka, MD)