There are moments in my life when I haven’t felt fully confident in myself. I’m sure most people feel like this from time to time.
Sometimes, old stories and negative voices from our past sabotage us.
Sometimes, we have fear and anxiety about putting ourselves out there in the world – vulnerable to judgment and criticism.
Sometimes, we just feel weak and anything but courageous.
When I’m in this place, I love to bring an image of the Hindu goddess, Durga, to mind.
She’s invincible and powerful, the protective Mother of the Universe.
She emerged from the powerful and fierce light of the great Goddess as a divine woman with one thousand arms – both beautiful and ferocious. In each hand, she carries a weapon that was given to her as a gift from the gods. Armed with the multitude of weapons, she mounts and rides her tiger that roars so loudly that the heavens and earth tremble.
I hold this image of Durga, and even chant a mantra invoking her as I remember the 5 tips noted below. This helps me to step into my own power with confidence. You can access a recording of this mantra by becoming a member of my Free Healing Library. Click here to become a member.
You can do this too when you need a boost to your self-confidence and it’ll help you be able to shine your light into the world! You’ll feel empowered, powerful, and strong. You’ll be able to take up actions with courage.
Doubts, insecurities, and criticisms will start to melt.
You’ll align with your True Self. You’ll embrace all that you are.
Here are 5 tips to help you give your self-confidence a boost when you need it most.
1. Be mindful of those negative voices in your head! If they’re making awful comments about you or your abilities, change that tune. As soon as you notice the negative voices, stop them, fill yourself with compassion for YOU, and shift those voices to positive, kind, compassionate words.
“Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” Lao Tzu
2. Spend a few moments sending love to yourself. Imagine warm, golden light in your heart. Feel this light warm and expand your heart. Feel it reach out beyond your heart and encompass your whole being. Speak those compassionate and kind words to yourself in your head. Do this every morning or several times throughout the day, as needed.
3. Seek those in your community who can support and encourage you. Maybe these are your close friends or maybe a support group with a specific focus. Find those who can give you encouraging and positive feedback.
4. Shift your posture. Sometimes when inwardly we don’t feel very confident, we can shift our soul mood by shifting our physical body. Stand in a posture that speaks confidence to you. Maybe legs apart a little, hands on hips. Or sitting upright, leaning forward. Relax your face, breathe deeply, and smile. Hold the posture that you experience as CONFIDENCE for a couple minutes. This helps to shift your mood to one with more inner power and confidence.
5. Leave the rest to the Divine. After you’ve done the work that you can, simply turn it over to the Divine. The Divine has wonderful ways of supporting us and moving us along our journey in life, as long as we put forth our own effort. So, offer it up to the Divine for further guidance. Trust that Divine support will come to you. Say a prayer out loud. Here is one of my favorites from the 12 Step Tradition: “God, I offer myself to Thee, to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I wold help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and thy way of life. May I do Thy will always!” (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 63)
Interested in more? Check out my Free Healing Library, including a mantra for Durga on my website at Doctor of the Soul. Click here to become a member.